dimanche 9 septembre 2007

Finding God in unexpected places

("The Christian and Missionary Alliance of Sainte-Foy -
One church ... one family")

Today, I made my first venture out into Québec City`s community of faith. Thanks to Dad's work connections, I heard about this church somewhat near the university so I decided to try it out this morning. I got off the bus, and across the street was this giant cathedral-like chapel. I stood there in awe for a second, but as I got closer, I noticed that it was not the church I was looking for. I glanced across the street and saw a much more modest sign outside an older community centre. Voilà, the church I was headed to ...

A little hesitant, I made my way in and was greeted by several friendly people who seemed about my age and who coincidentally (well, I guess coincidence is impossible in a church - ha) also work on campus at Laval. I found myself a seat on the side (there were probably 60 chairs available) in a room not unlike the gymnasium at Alex Wright Elementary School in Nipawin. As I waited for the service to start, I got to thinking about churches back home in Vancouver: How strange to come from the Fraser Valley, a veritable smorgasbord of church choices and preferences when it comes to music, preaching and community activities, to a little congregation in a temporary facility amidst an ocean of Québécois culture which has collectively given up on religious authority of any kind. That the church exists at all from year to year is an achievement.

The music started, and surprisingly, I recognized most of the songs (the lyrics having been translated into French). Younger members of the congregation played all sorts of instruments such as the cello, fiddles, electric piano, drums (I think), etc. It`s funny - you can sing the same song in Vancouver and Québec, but each culture puts its own spin on it. Here in Québec, church music sounds remarkably similar to the little square dancing songs Mme Nyuli used to teach us in music class - it was so cool. Later in the service when people were sharing about what God had been teaching them, a lady in the front row started saying the Lord`s Prayer (in French, of course). My thoughts went straight back to my French Immersion days where all our Catholic teachers (in a public school, mind you -- long live the 80`s) had us recite the Lord`s Prayer in French after singing the bilingual version of O Canada every morning. Had our English-only school principal spoken a word of French, we may not have 'gotten away with that'. Funny, too - most of us weren`t even Catholic (and only a handful of us were regular church goers), and I don`t ever remember it being a problem. How things have changed. To this day, I still do not know the Lord`s Prayer in English - good thing God speaks all forms of Canadian :)

Anyway, I came away from that service feeling silly about the way I had drawn up my list of must-haves in my 'church-shopping' adventures. Fantastic modern music? Well, heartfelt music by ordinary people wins out. Great looking facility? An affordable, safe place to meet for a couple hours on Sunday is good enough for me. Large, diverse congregation? A few well-chosen (by God, of course) people who live out their faith in a culture of historical opposition to Christ are the kind of friends I am looking for. What a refreshing reminder of what truly makes up a church - God`s people.

KNL

2 commentaires:

linds a dit…

that is sooo awesome Kris!!! What an answer to prayer!!!!!

Half n' Half a dit…

That's great Kris. I am thankful for that, Love you. Happy 2 days to your Birthday.