lundi 3 mars 2008

Winter fun


Sorry it's been so long since I updated this ... kinda forgot about it, then got super busy. My Christmas cards haven't even been sent out yet. :( It was a nice thought, but if they get out before July, I will be happy. ha.

This semester has been crazy busy, but in good ways. School started Jan. 14th and it was nice to not have to relearn all the little detail-things that complicate a first semester somewhere. About four weeks later, my sister Erin and her good friend Abbie (in the pic with me) came for a 9-day trip to see me here in Québec. We bunked out in my tiny dorm room, and had a super great time together. Erin is the first person from home to see where I'm at, and that was really special. After they left, I got a little caught up in my classes then headed down to Sherbrooke to see my good friend Greta for a few days. She and I go way back, to when she was in her first year at NBI and I was still in high school. It was great to see her - we figured we hadn't seen each other in at least 8 years. Lots of catching up, lots of funny memories. :) I am so thankful for friends like that.

Now the 'social high' is over, and things are mellowing a little. I am really anxious to get my classes over with. They have been probably the hardest part about being here (besides the financial stuff last semester). I think my courses are a little easier this semester than last, but they still stress me out, especially the giant oral presentations and stuff. I have this one class where we have to write a two-page essay every week on something we found interesting in the reading. That part of the assignment is super easy, but the prof has decided that every week, he will pull out 5 names out of an envelope, and those 5 people will need to present their thesis to the class - no cue cards or anything - and then have the class drill them on the flaws in their logic. Terrifying enough, but the worst part is that, even if your name gets picked, he puts all the names back in for next week, so potentially you could be chosen every single week ... or not at all. I don't remember the last time I prayed so specifically and desperately for something (sad, I know, other things should move me more than oral presentations, but we'll work on that later), and against statistical odds (which I now know how to calculate), I have not been chosen in 5 weeks. 2 more to go till the end. This is already a miracle for me, but 'total immunity' would be superb. :) I'll keep you posted.

Another funny 'mini-victory' happened on the weekend. My ESL class always bugs me about having trouble ordering food at McDonald's. The joke is that I can explain political nuances and government stuff with little difficulty, but have trouble with the day-to-day things I never learned outside the classroom. Anyway, it has been my goal to get up to the counter at Micky D's and order "Poulet McCroquettes" (Poo-let-mik-crlo-ket) - harder to say than it looks. I got up my courage, marched up to the lady at the till, looked her square in the eye and said, "J'aimerais 6 morceaux de Poulet McCroquettes." And for a split second, I felt great, until she said, "Et quelle sauce voudrais-tu?" Sauce? Dang! I have no idea how they translate from English to French ... I jogged my memory and thanks to years of studying food labels one came to me, but of course, not the one I wanted. :) Small victory, but funny nonetheless.

Anyway, I better get back to homework or something else productive. Miss you all very much, and hope you are well where you're at.

Kristen

1 commentaire:

Tina a dit…

It was nice to hear what has been happening in your life. I look forward to seeing you in 2 short months.