mercredi 13 juin 2007

A weekend on campus


Because the Fraser River is threatening to flood, and the West Coast Express (my ride to school) told us last week to make alternate plans to get into the city early this week, I had to spend two nights and three days in my pre-paid dorm room at SFU. (SFU didn't give me back the $600 deposit I made on my residence fees for the summer semester, so I have use of the room until June 22. Having stayed there 3 days ... I guess that's about a $200 a night. ha.) I am glad, however, that I had a safe place to stay during mid-terms.

Monday afternoon, I had a little free time, so I hopped on a bus, took the Skytrain, got on the Seabus, and eventually meandered my way back to campus. I love doing that, taking destination-less rides on public transit. I am sure going to miss Vancouver next year, especially the weather. Having lived here all my adult life, I have a hard time imagining myself anywhere else. I think the change will be good, once I outfit myself in a decent parka and a fashionable pair of Sorels.

My dorm room at SFU this weekend had no TV nor any access to internet, so I had a lot of time to just sit in quietness and ponder life. I brought a file of random journal clippings from way back, and I was surprisingly encouraged by some things I was led to write down back in the day, around the time I was contemplating leaving Nipawin to move to Vancouver 8 years ago. This one was especially encouraging to me in light of my upcoming adventure to la belle province:

Isaiah 43:1-5a, 18-19

But now, this is what the Lord says -
He who created you, O Jacob, He who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you'
I have summoned you by name;
You are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy one of Israel, Your Saviour;
I give Egypt for your ransom, Cush and Sheba in your stead.
Since you are precious and honoured in my sight, and because I love you,
I will give men in exchange for you, and people in exchange for your life.
Do not be afraid, for I am with you ...

Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."

What a cool reminder of how God sees us. Praise the God of the Big Picture.

KNL

Aucun commentaire: